Fri, Jun 02|
Integrative Approach Targeting the Vagus Nerve and the NEIS. 2d Ed. Part 3 - Osteopathic Practice only.
The Part 3 onsite course, osteopathic practice only, will focus on OMT targeting the ANS, the neuroendocrine-immune system and its effects on Heart Rate Variability as demonstrated by short-term EKG. The osteopathic centres will be learned.
Time & Location
Jun 02, 9:00 AM ADT – Jun 03, 5:00 PM ADT
Truro, 692 Prince St, Truro, NS B2N 1G6, Canada
About the event
For the first time in the Maritimes, Pascal Grolaux, DO, BSc, MOst. will offer the original, evidence-based and most comprehensive course, so far proposed in Canada and in Europe, on the Integrative Approach Targeting the Vagus Nerve and the Neuroendocrine-immune System (NEIS).
- Part 3 will be onsite 4 days practice only and is divided into two possibilities (2 days each): 1. Applied osteopathic treatment (only for Osteopathic manual practitioner, last yer students of Osteopathy); 2. Non-invasive vagus nerve (tVNS) and trigeminal nerve stimulation (tTMS) (for Osteopathic manual practitioner, last year students of Osteopathy and other Health Professionals).
Note that only Osteopathic manual practitioner and last year students of Osteopathy can enroll to the 4 days practice (OMT and tVNS-tTMS)!
Coupon code : NEI-Part3AOST23 , apply for early birds with 15% reduction if the course is paid before Feb. 15th.
The Part 3 "Osteopathic treatment targeting the vagus nerve and the NEI system " (onsite-practice only) (only for those who have followed the Part 1 and Part 2), will see how general and specific OMT can affect targeting the SNA, particularly the vagus nerve and the NEI system can positively affect heart rate variability (HRV) as a biomarker of the sympatho-vagal balance and more globally affects the psychophysiology and the general physiology.
At the end of the course "“Integrative Approach Targeting the Vagus Nerve and the Neuroendocrine-immune System (NEIS). Part 3 ”Osteopathic treatment targeting the vagus nerve and the NEI system ", the participant will:
- Learn how to generally and specifically target the SNA and the NEI system
- Learn how to manually assess the vagus nerve integrity (right and left)
- Learn or review general and specific OMT
- Be able to practice HRV analysis on short-term EKG-based and demonstrate the effects of a targeted OMT on the vagus nerve and the NEI system on HRV, including modulation of the heart-brain and gut-brain axis
- Be able to demonstrate their skills in HRV analysis using a 3-lead portable EKG and the Kubios software for HRV analysis
- Be able to offer a patient an evidence-based treatment plan and assessment plan (based on HRV analysis)
Who Should Attend This Course
This course is designed for Osteopaths and last year Osteopathic students, who has followed the previous Part 1 and Part 2 of the course.
CEUs will be given in hour-effective learning time instead of units. CEUs earned for part 3 (per 2 days): 12h
Note: language will be English with French translation if needed.
Practical course: 3 days on site (Please note the dates)
"Osteopathic treatment targeting the vagus nerve and the NEI system “
· Type: Practical course at IOSR
· Language: English
· Participants: Osteopath, Osteopathic students, Physiotherapists, Naturopaths, med. Doctors, other Health Practitioners
· Date : 2-3 June 2023
· Duration: 3 full days
· Schedule: Friday/Saterday/Sunday. (9AM-5PM)
· Cancellation deadline: 4 weeks before course
· Precondition: Webinar Part 1 and Part 2 must have been completed
- Practical: ECG is not prerequisite but recommended.
- Practical: Kubios software pre-installed on PC/Mac is not prerequisite but recommended
- The osteopathic centers
- Scientific evidences of OMT targeting the ANS and the NEI system
- Review of OMT general and specific technique that will have an effect on HRV and the sympato-vagal balance
- Heart rate variability and assessment of the sympatho-vagal balance via short-term 3 leads ECG, analysis via Kubios software.
- Practice by two, HRV analysis, osteopathic treatment, control HRV analysis (4 EKG will be provided for practice)
Tracey, K. J. (2002). "The inflammatory reflex." Nature 420(6917): 853-859.
Hosoi, T. and Y. Nomura (2004). "Functional role of acetylcholine in the immune system." Frontiers in Bioscience 9: 2414-2419.
Rosas-Ballina, M., et al. (2008). "Splenic nerve is required for cholinergic antiinflammatory pathway control of TNF in endotoxemia." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105(31): 11008-11013.
d. Sundman, E. and P. S. Olofsson (2014). "Neural control of the immune system." Advances in Physiology Education 38(2): 135-139.
Chavan, S. S. and K. J. Tracey (2017). "Essential Neuroscience in Immunology." Journal of Immunology 198(9): 3389-3397.
Henley CE, Ivins D, Mills M, Wen FK, Benjamin BA. Osteopathic manipulative treatment and its relationship to autonomic nervous system activity as demonstrated by heart rate variability: a repeated measures study. Osteopath Med Prim Care. 2008 Jun 5;2:7. doi: 10.1186/1750-4732-2-7. PMID: 18534024; PMCID: PMC2442110.
Carnevali L, Lombardi L, Fornari M, Sgoifo A. Exploring the Effects of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment on Autonomic Function Through the Lens of Heart Rate Variability. Front Neurosci. 2020 Oct 7;14:579365. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2020.579365. PMID: 33117124; PMCID: PMC7575744
Ruffini N, D'Alessandro G, Mariani N, Pollastrelli A, Cardinali L, Cerritelli F. Variations of high frequency parameter of heart rate variability following osteopathic manipulative treatment in healthy subjects compared to control group and sham therapy: randomized controlled trial. Front Neurosci. 2015 Aug 4;9:272. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2015.00272. PMID: 26300719; PMCID: PMC4523739.
Fornari M, Carnevali L, Sgoifo A. Single Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy Session Dampens Acute Autonomic and Neuroendocrine Responses to Mental Stress in Healthy Male Participants. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2017 Sep 1;117(9):559-567. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2017.110. PMID: 28846122.
Cerritelli F, Chiacchiaretta P, Gambi F, Saggini R, Perrucci MG, Ferretti A. Osteopathy modulates brain-heart interaction in chronic pain patients: an ASL study. Sci Rep. 2021 Feb 25;11(1):4556. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-83893-8. PMID: 33633195; PMCID: PMC7907192.
Żurowska A, Malak R, Kołcz-Trzęsicka A, Samborski W, Paprocka-Borowicz M. Compression of the Fourth Ventricle Using a Craniosacral Osteopathic Technique: A Systematic Review of the Clinical Evidence. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;2017:2974962. doi: 10.1155/2017/2974962. Epub 2017 Oct 18. PMID: 29234380; PMCID: PMC5664229.
Pascal J.D. Grolaux, Timothy J. Sparrow, François Lalonde; Traditional Osteopathy and the General Osteopathic Treatment: A Historical Concept and a Modern Application. AAO Journal 1 December 2021; 31 (4): 39–46.
- Ticket type
NEI and osteopathy.
Part 3 of Integrative Approach Targeting the NEI System and the Vagus Nerve. Osteopathic practice and HRV analysis.PriceCA$280.00
+CA$42.00 HSTTax: +CA$42.00 HST
+CA$8.05 service fee+CA$8.05 service feeSale ended